Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To my Sudu Akki


I was literally bursting with joy,
To give you the happy news,
To tell you soonest,
That I had a poem of mine,
Published,
In the newspaper.
As soon as I broke the news,
You beamed,
With undisguised delight.
Great! Do bring it tomorrow, will you?
I was literally amazed,
At your child-like impatience,
At that wonderful fusion,
Of insistence and affection.
'If only you were my own Sudu Akki!'
I made the same wish,
That I had made many times before.

When I handed over it you the next day,
You gave me a triumphant grin,
And took it home to show your mom.
I deeply marvelled,
At the vicarious pleasure,
That you were enjoying.

Today while I look back,
On this little but beautiful incident,
I feel immensely grateful to you,
For your boundless affection,
And doubt if I will ever meet a better friend than you,
For I always think,
You are the dearest of all my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment