Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Lone Pigeon and I

She lingered a moment there, beaming sweetly at me,
And mutely watched us converse,
A gleam of love, I was sure, I caught in her eyes,
Which, as it were, prompted many a romantic verse.

A huge temple tree, abloom, stood over us,
With a bark like a monitor's back;
Surmises and thoughts and my feelings were all diffuse,
Like scattered cards of a pack.

Scouring the lawn for grains, there were two little pigeons,
A couple of glad-hearted lovers;
I remembered how we, like them, ourselves had enjoyed,
Chatting with each other for hours.

She tarried there no longer than a few seconds,
But I deemed it was an age;
Then she rose, bade me adieu and slowly glided off
Like a Thespian exiting the stage.

Away flew one pigeon as she walked off,
Leaving the other bird alone;
I wondered if it felt the same pangs of parting as I,
With its sweet-mate gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment