Monday, May 23, 2011

Temptation and Fear

I`m strongly tempted to leave
The claustrophobic exam-hall,
As one by one,
My fellow candidates stream out,
Across the vast hall,
With their answer-scripts,
Lying on their vacant desks,
‘Don`t take your answer-scripts with you;
Or else you`ll get zero marks!’
I`m amused by the wise, ironic words,
Of the genial invigilator,
Counseling humorous caution,
To the early leavers.

‘Why can`t I follow them out?’
I ask myself,
Feeling smug at the knowledge,
That I`ve already answered,
The whole question-paper,
To my heart`s satisfaction,
But fear re-slips into my heart,
Spoiling my sense of self-complacency,
And impels me to doubt myself,
‘What if I`ve made more mistakes?
Why shouldn`t I stay a little longer
and recheck it?’

And I re-examine my answer-script,
And kill my time,
Between many a temptation,
And many a fear….

No comments:

Post a Comment