Thursday, May 26, 2011

At the End of the End

I found it difficult,
To bring myself to look at you,
Straight in the face,
And smile warmly at you,
Like I would have done then,
Perhaps because the old disappointment,
Still hung heavy on my heart.

We walked along the familiar road,
And turned into the estate,
Housing the posh new administration complex,
And ambled along the tarmac,
Flanked by the big earthen flower-pots,
Spaced almost with mathematical precision,
Where the palm trees grew.

I found my old hurts green as the grass,
On the lush meadow,
And spoke less and smiled little with you.

Now relieved of your former weight,
That had weighted my heart for days on end,
You ascended the flight of stairs,
With as much light-footed agility as I.

Document having been signed,
Letters handed in,
We walked back to the beginning
Of our walk,
To part.

In the privacy of the taxi,
Cradling on your neighbor`s hands
Was the precious little thing,
That mattered to you next to your own life,
And walled us farther apart.

Our friendship, your betrayal,
Were both things of history now.

To turn back, stare blankly into the vast emptiness
Ahead of me, and sigh,
I knew, was useless,
At that point of no return.

And I moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment